The Gennett Records branch of the now-defunct Starr Piano Company is well-known for its groundbreaking recordings of numerous jazz pioneers like Louis Armstrong, Hoagy Carmichael, Jelly Roll Morton and Duke Ellington. Once located on the banks of the Whitewater River in the center of Richmond, Gennett Records also recorded many pioneers in other styles of American music. Blues artist Thomas A.
Historic Cambridge City is located on the National Road in the heart of Antique Alley. It is the home to more than 12 quality antique shops and malls, beautifully restored homes, Museum of Overbeck Art Potter, cozy local eateries and a bed and breakfast. In the mid 19th century, the Whitewater Canal flowed from Cambridge City to Cincinnati transporting freight and passengers.
Travelers along Indiana's historic National Road will see landscapes marked by the heyday of the 1840s to the 1940s. Historic villages with traditional Main Streets give way to rural pastures. From Federal-style "Pike Towns" and Victorian Streetcar neighborhoods to authentic mile markers and family-owned diners, follow the migration of the nation.
As a traveling missionary and preacher, Quinn helped establish the African Methodist Episcopal Church (AME) in free and slave states before the Civil War. He influenced the faith, community, and education of thousands of black Americans by organizing schools and churches, including Bethel here in 1836. In 1844, the AME General Conference elected him its Fourth Bishop.
A transportation center, platted 1836 along the Whitewater River, the Cumberland/National Road, and the Whitewater Canal route. Four steam railroads served the town; interurban electric railroad opened 1903. Cambridge City Historic District listed in National Register, 1991.
Civil War training camp for the then 5th Congressional District was located on the old fairgrounds. The 16th, 36th, 57th, 69th, 74th, 84th, and 124th regiments of Indiana Volunteers were organized and trained here.
Band organized in East Germantown; members enlisted in 1862. Assigned to the Twelfth Regiment of Indiana Volunteers. Fought with General Ulysses S. Grant. Marched with General William T. Sherman from Atlanta to sea.
A political leader defined by his moral convictions, Julian (1817-1899) advocated for abolition, equal rights and land reform, during a period marked by slavery, Civil War, monopolies, and discrimination against blacks, immigrants, and women. As U.S.
In 1946, Indiana University joined Earlham College to form an extension center in Richmond to meet the region’s educational needs. The center offered the first two years of college credit through evening classes held at the Earlham campus. In 1967, Purdue University and Ball State University partnered with the center to expand vocational and technical courses.
A convention was called for by reform-minded Congregational Friends meeting at Greensboro, Henry County, January 1851. Convention held October 14-15, 1851 at Dublin adopted resolutions for political, social, and financial rights for women. Women and men who favored abolition, temperance, and suffrage attended.
One-quarter mile south of this marker is the home of General Solomon A. Meredith, Iron Brigade Commander at Gettysburg. Born in North Carolina, Meredith was an Indiana political leader and post-war Surveyor-General of Montana Territory.
Levi Coffin (1798-1877), a Quaker abolitionist, lived in Newport (now Fountain City) with his family 1826-1847. Moved from North Carolina because he and his wife, Catharine, opposed slavery. Advocated, and sold in his store, free-labor products not produced by slaves.
Residence of Oliver P. Morton, Governor of Indiana during the crucial years of the American Civil War, 1861-65. U.S. Senator, 1867-77. Morton was the first native-born governor of Indiana.
Indiana's first art pottery, a nationally-recognized product of the American Arts and Crafts Movement, was produced 1911-1955 by the Overbeck sisters. Their 1830s Federal Style house, one block south, was listed in National Register of Historic Places, 1976.
As a writer, speaker, stockbreeder, and university professor, Meredith (born 1848) encouraged women to pursue education and careers related to farm life. She inherited Oakland Farm, three blocks south, 1882. Successfully grew business and reputation as farm expert. Appointed to 1893 World's Fair Board of Lady Managers.
Non-denominational academies called county seminaries opened across Indiana soon after statehood. Wayne County Seminary opened at present day Spruce and School Streets in 1829 and by 1835 offered elementary to collegiate level classes for male and female students. Several students became prominent citizens, including author Lew Wallace and politician Oliver P.