Dense with forest and rich in game, Richmond, Indiana was proclaimed "The Land of Promise" by North Carolina Quakers seeking a new home free from the moral chains of slavery. The first settler, Jeremiah Cox, set about "building up a virtuous community" in 1806 by welcoming fellow Quakers to his paradise. His influence shaped Richmond as diverse groups of settlers sought the peaceful and prosperous lifestyle of the Friends. Quakers owned mills and foundries along the Whitewater River, and Quaker Charles Starr further influenced Richmond's destiny as he donated land to the railroad, stipulating that it be used for a depot. With access to rail transportation, more industrialists chose to locate in Richmond and during the late nineteenth century the city of 20,000 was home to no less than 47 millionaires. Along with economic impact, the Quakers established intellectual growth with the founding of Earlham College in 1847 and one of the nation's first public libraries in 1864.