Museums & History
Richmond | Wayne County, Indiana has a vast array of Museums and History. From History Museums to Art Museums and everything in between, you'll be sure to learn something new!
Did you know Richmond, Indiana has the only two permanent mummy displays in the state of Indiana?
Levi Coffin (1798-1877), a Quaker abolitionist, lived in Newport (now Fountain City) with his family 1826-1847. Moved from North Carolina because he and his wife, Catharine, opposed slavery. Advocated, and sold in his store, free-labor products not produced by slaves.
Residence of Oliver P. Morton, Governor of Indiana during the crucial years of the American Civil War, 1861-65. U.S. Senator, 1867-77. Morton was the first native-born governor of Indiana.
Indiana's first art pottery, a nationally-recognized product of the American Arts and Crafts Movement, was produced 1911-1955 by the Overbeck sisters. Their 1830s Federal Style house, one block south, was listed in National Register of Historic Places, 1976.
As a writer, speaker, stockbreeder, and university professor, Meredith (born 1848) encouraged women to pursue education and careers related to farm life. She inherited Oakland Farm, three blocks south, 1882. Successfully grew business and reputation as farm expert. Appointed to 1893 World's Fair Board of Lady Managers.
Non-denominational academies called county seminaries opened across Indiana soon after statehood. Wayne County Seminary opened at present day Spruce and School Streets in 1829 and by 1835 offered elementary to collegiate level classes for male and female students. Several students became prominent citizens, including author Lew Wallace and politician Oliver P.
Owned and restored by Indiana Landmarks, the museum operates as the National Road Heritage Site, where exhibits offer modern-day travelers a vivid picture of cross-country travel on the Historic National Road from Cumberland, Maryland to Vandalia, Illinois -- from the pioneer era to the present.
Dedicated to the sport and its Indiana heroes, the Football Hall of Fame features displays and memorabilia from Indiana High School, Collegiate and Professional athletes. The purpose is to establish scholarships and endowments for excellences in football in the State of Indiana.
An Egyptian mummy and giant prehistoric mammals captivate audiences of all ages. Learn about the fossils for which Richmond is world famous. Delight in the educational and fun hands-on exhibits. Gift shop available.
In commemoration of pioneer mothers of the covered wagon days, this statue is the ninth link in the Great National Shrine erected by the Daughters of the American Revolution along the National Road Trail. There are only 12 statues linked along US 40 from Bethesda, Maryland, to Upland, California. The Richmond statue was dedicated in 1928 by a little-known Missouri judge, Harry S. Truman.
The Mansion House was built in 1840 pioneer-era as an upscale hotel inn and also served as the office for the Western Stage Company where stagecoaches changed horses. The Mansion house became a museum in 1967 when it was acquired by the Wayne County Historical Museum and later purchased by Historic Centerville, inc. 1975. 2017 marks 50 years as a museum!
Model T Fords representing years of the Model T production 1908-1927. The Museum features an impressive collection of vehicles including one of the first Ts and one of the last, a Pietenpol airplane, a Vintage Garage, T-related memorabilia, an extensive gift and book shop, and the Bruce McCalley Memorial Library and Research Center. Admission charged. Free for Model T Ford Club members.
Overbeck Art Pottery was produced in the family home, built in 1830's. The house was rescued from demolition in 1973 and restored as a private residence. A coal-oil fired kiln is in the square kiln house. Donations accepted. Tours available by appointment.
Fine art museum, founded in 1898, featuring Indiana artists and American art including, T.C. Steele, John E. Bundy, Wayman Adams, Wm. Merritt Chase, Robert Reid, Childe Hassam, and Overbeck pottery. Free admission.
McGuire Hall Auditorium Facility Booking Inquiries: 765-966-0256
Built in 1812, the log courthouse is the oldest existing courthouse in Indiana. Salisbury was a small settlement just south and about midway between Richmond and Centerville. Salisbury has long since disappeared. Open for local festivals and by appointment.
The Starr Historic District, listed on the National Register, was developed from farmland bought by Charles and Elizabeth Starr from Jeremiah Cox, a Richmond founder. The land was subdivided into lots in the early 1850s and sold for residential construction.